Out of Hours Construction
An Out of Hours Permit is needed to work on building sites outside the normally permitted times. These times are regulated by two things:
1. Environment Local Law No.3, Section 21 allows work as follows:
- Monday to Friday – 7.00am to 6.00pm
- Saturday – 9.00am to 3.00pm
- Sunday, ANZAC Day, Christmas Day and Good Friday – no work permitted.
This condition does not apply to any person to whom section 48A of the Environment Protection Act 1970 applies.
If you fall into this category, then you must comply with the provisions of the Environment Protection Act 1970 Prescribed Noise Guidelines.
A copy of these guidelines can be obtained by contacting the Compliance Branch on 9205 5063 or visiting the EPA web site: http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/noise/
2. Planning permit conditions: Where a planning permit has been issued for the proposed works, the planning permit conditions may dictate the permitted working hours. Contact Council’s Urban Planning Branch on 9205 5373, if you need to refer to your planning permit for the permitted work times.
Who can get an out of hours permit?
Out of hours permits are available to people who, for specific reasons other than commercial consideration, cannot undertake the proposed work during the permitted times for construction. These reasons may include but are not limited to:
- A service authority has dictated times, e.g. power or water
- A public transport operator has advised of suitable times, e.g. tram line shut down, or bus route
- To reduce the restriction of access to surrounding businesses.
Complete the application form below, specifying the reason why the work cannot be done during permitted hours.
Application for Out-of-Hours Permit - July 2013 (45.47 KB)
Application for Out-of-Hours Permit - July 2013 (130.59 KB)
If the work is in a residential areas and some in commercial / industrial areas you need to notify all affected neighbours / businesses within 100 metres of the site at least seven days prior to the date of works. The courtesy letter must be approved by the Construction Management Branch prior to distributing.
This letter must inform occupiers of the date, time, the nature of the works and the contact details for Yarra City Council. Attached is a copy of the information letter to affected residents and businesses (see notes).
Courtesy Letter for Out Of Hours Work - July 13 (41.53 KB)
Courtesy Letter for Out Of Hours Work - July 13 (245.88 KB)
Permit fee is $147.00 (per day) and the permit becomes valid only when it is receipted.
Out of hours inspection fee is $375.00 - minimum (per day).
How early do I need to submit an application?
Applications must be submitted to the Construction Management Branch 10 working days prior to the specified date of works.
Back to top
Construction Management Branch