Tree problems

Close up of leafCouncil investigates street tree problems if a resident raises concerns about safety or structural damage to property.

Residential disputes involving private trees are a civil matter between neighbours and outside of Council's regulatory responsibilities.

Officers will only inspect a private tree if a resident is seeking to remove or prune a private tree covered by Council's significant tree local law.

Council will assess the tree and consider its condition, suitability and significance and then make a recommendation.

Requesting a tree investigation

A request can be made a number of ways:

By phone: To Council's Call Centre (Access Yarra) on 9205 5555.

By mail: Michael Rogers, Coordinator Streetscapes and Trees, Yarra City Council,, PO Box 168, Richmond, Victoria 3121

By email:

In person: Council offices, Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5.00pm, Richmond Town Hall, 333 Bridge Road, Richmond, or Collingwood Town Hall, 140 Hoddle Street, Abbotsford.

Information Required:

  • Your contact details and residential address
  • Location of the tree
  • The nature of the problem with the tree

What happens next

Simple requests for tree pruning, branch pick up, restaking etc will be forwarded straight to the contractor to attend to. These are requests that do not have an impact on surrounding neighbours

More complicated requests that may require further investigation i.e. tree removal, planting, alleged property damage will be inspected and evaluated by Council's arborist. The resident will then be notified of Council’s recommendation. In some circumstances arrangements maybe made to meet the resident and inspect their property. 


Emergency requests are investigated within 24 hours.
General  requests are investigated within 10 working days.

Further information
Glen Williames 

Assistant Arborist
9205 5765

Back to top
Back to top Back to top