Street tree policy
Yarra City Council plants and maintains street trees guided by its Street Tree Policy.
Council has researched and developed practical and innovative methods to achieve improvements to street tree maintenance and health. It is also maximising opportunities for planting new street trees.
The key objectives of the Street Tree Policy include:
- Improving the environmental and aesthetic contribution of street trees with more appropriate planting, species selection and appropriate size trees for streets.
- Protecting existing street tree plantings that are consistent with the heritage character of Yarra.
- Increasing the range of suitable native and indigenous street tree species, particularly close to waterway corridors.
- Highlighting the change and diversity of neighbourhood character with a corresponding change to street trees.
- Improving pedestrian amenity by planting trees that provide shade and do not hinder access.
- Increasing the use of drought tolerant trees to reduce water use over time.
- Providing a detailed staged implementation plan to guide future works.
Street Tree Policy (609.94kB)
Back to top
Coordinator Streetscapes & Trees