Peel Street Park
Collingwood became a little greener in July 2011, with the opening of the new Peel Street Park on a site formerly used as a carpark.
The 1050-square metre block has been transformed into a green oasis through the planting of new trees, the creation of a raingarden to capture and treat water from the site, and the addition of seating, pathways, a drinking fountain and public bins.
A large lawn area and planting beds have also been installed next to the Foy and Gibson heritage building.
The 1880s Wesleyan Congregational Church building on the site will be refurbished for community use.
The $700,000 funding for the creation of the park came from contributions made by developers to Council's Open Space Trust Fund.
Here is a media release issued about the park prior to its official opening.
The creation of the Peel Street Park will help Council meet its commitment to create five new parks across Yarra by 2013. It was also a key recommendation in Yarra's Open Space Strategy, which identified a shortage of open space in Collingwood.
Work is underway to create another new park in Collingwood, on nearby Oxford Street.
On Saturday 9 July 2011, local residents and businesses joined Mayor Alison Clarke, Councillors and Council staff to officially open the park.
View Larger Map
Coordinator Open Space Planning and Design
Back to top