Citizen's Park is Richmond's largest park. Close proximity to public transport and plenty of open space make it a great inner-city getaway.
Making Citizens Park work for everyone
Council recently sought community feedback on proposals to improve Citizens Park for the whole community. For more information, visit the Help Council improve Citizens Park webpage.
Sharing the space
Throughout the year Citizens Park is used for a range of organised sports and as a destination for people relaxing, exercising or walking their dogs.
Citizens Park is a designated dog off-leash area with some exceptions.
When organised sports training or matches ARE taking place:
- Dogs are not allowed on the oval
- Dogs must be on-leash within the wider park area (that is, the areas outside of the fenced oval)
(Note - The Council Order states that dogs must be on-leash within 30 metres of an organised sporting match or training. In the case of Citizens Park, this incorporates all of the wider park area)
Cricket training and match times
- Training: Tuesday (4.30pm-7.30pm), Wednesday (4.15pm-5.45pm) and Thursday (4.00pm-7.30pm)
- Matches: Friday (4.00pm-7.00pm), Saturday (9.30am-12.00pm and 12.00pm-6.30pm) and some Sundays
- Please consult notices on the Jack Dyer pavillion for the latest information on training and match times
When there are NO sports training or matches taking place:
- Dogs are allowed off-leash on the oval
- Dogs are allowed off-leash in the wider park area, except within 30 metres of the mulched area of the playground, exercise equipment and barbeque area where they must be on-leash
- Dogs must be under effective control in all areas of the park
At all times:
- Owners must pick up after their dog – failure to do so could incur a warning or fine from Council
- Dogs must be under effective control – failure to do so could incur a warning or fine from Council
Responsible pet ownership
Dog owners are also reminded to:
- Pick up after your dog to ensure the park remains clean and safe for all users. This is a requirement under the Local Law and penalties apply to dog owners who disregard this. All dog owners must carry a bag or receptacle to collect your dog’s poo.
- Have your pet under effective control at all times, i.e. do not leave your dog on its own
- Stop your dog digging holes in the oval surface which can be unsafe for other people using the park.
- Ensure your pet is registered with Council and wearing the current registration tag at all times (penalties apply for not wearing tag). This will make it easier to reunite you with your pet should it go missing.
For information about responsible pet ownership call 9205 5555 or visit www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/News/yarra-news/2014/8/reminder-on-responsible-pet-ownership/
Features and facilities
Features and facilities include:
- Sports ground
- Dog off-leash area
- Barbeque facilities
- Picnic tables
- Drinking fountains
- Bike parking
- On street parking
Highett Street (between Church and Gleadell Streets), Richmond 3121
Melway ref: 2H, B5
Citizens Park is wheelchair accessible, including accessible toilet and parking.
Click here to inquire about park hire.
View Larger Map
Further information regarding hiring of park facilities
Venues & Events
Further information regarding park maintenance
Back to top
Coordinator - Open Space