The Yarra Environment Strategy (YES) is the key strategic document Council uses to set the direction for environmental initiatives in Yarra.
The third and most recent YES expired in June 2012 and Council is now working on the next environment strategy.
As part of that work, Council sought ideas and suggestions from the community in February and March 2013 on what should be included in the new four year strategy.
A series of community workshops and information sessions were held to gather ideas and suggestions for inclusion in the draft strategy.
Please note, the closing date for submissions was Friday 22 March 2013.
The draft YES is expected to be taken to Council in June 2013. If the draft strategy is endorsed at that time, further consultation will occur in July and August.
How can we be better?
The Yarra community has a proud history of environmental pragmatism and has demonstrated it is ready to meet the challenges of creating a more sustainable place to live, reaching impressive milestones along the way.
However, the complexity and challenges of climate change, protecting open space, dealing with waste and other environmental issues is growing. We need to find ways to share knowledge more widely and effectively, and to refine and expand efforts to make changes now and for the future.
Highlights of the 2008-2012 Yarra Environment Strategy
The previous YES set the following targets for Council and the community to achieve by 2012:
- A carbon neutral status (zero net emissions) for council operations
- 30% reduction in Council’s energy consumption
- 50% reduction in water consumption in Council operations
- 10% of Council's energy needs generated from renewable (and low carbon) local energy sources.
- 25% reduction in greenhouse emissions across the community (carbon neutral by 2020)
- 25% reduction in water consumption across the community below 2000-01 baseline year
- 65% recovery rate (by weight) of municipal solid waste for re-use, recycling or energy generation from 2005-06 levels
- An increase in the percentage of Yarra residents using sustainable forms of transport (2011 census from 2001 census)
- Five community gardens established across Yarra.
You can download a copy of the 2008-12 YES and the Revised Action Plan 2010-2012 here.
Some of the milestones reached from programs and initiatives set out in the 2008-12 YES include:
Download Previous Documents
Yarra Environment Strategy - Towards Local Sustainability (611.24kB)
Yarra Environment Strategy Revised Action Plan 2010 (290.49kB)
YES - background
Community consultations held during preparations for the previous YES paved the way for Council becoming carbon neutral and the establishment of the Yarra Energy Foundation.
Thanks to the varied program of environmentally-focused initiatives pursued by Council and the wider community, Yarra was also named Victorian Sustainable City of the Year in Keep Australia Beautiful's annual awards in July 2011.
To learn more the achievements recognised from that strategy, click here.
Yarra Environment Advisory Committee
Council’s Environment Advisory Committee was established to provide feedback to Council to help guide Yarra’s environmental programs and policies.
You can find out more about the Committee here.
Sustainable Design Guidelines
Council also provides guidelines that can be applied to new building and planning applications in Yarra.
More on Sustainable Design Guidelines
Back to top
Coordinator - Environmental Managemenr