Utility works

If you are a utility company (or its agent) or a provider of public transport (or its agent) then you must obtain consent and notify City of Yarra for all works on Council.

Any works undertaken by road authorities, utilities or public transport operations (or their contractors) within the public road reserve need consent from the Coordinating Road Authority, unless an exemption applies.

For municipal roads within the City of Yarra the Coordinating Road Authority is The City of Yarra; forFreeways and arterial roads Vic Roads is the Coordinating Road Authority

pdf format App 03_Utility Consent v1.0 (238.79 KB)

Are you Exempt from Consent under the Road Management Act 2004?

If the proposed works are ‘minor works’ and not considered traffic impact works, they are exempt from obtaining consent.

‘Minor Works’ includes:

-          Repairing or maintaining poles

-          Replacing or relocating a single pole in a urban area

-          Installing, repairing or maintaining aerial cables or other overhead non-road infrastructure

-          Repairing or maintain street lights

-          Connecting a consumer to a utility service; other than supply extension works

-          Using an access hole to access, repair or maintain infrastructure under a road

-          Pruning or removing a tree or other vegetation

-          Excavating the roadways, pathway or shoulder less than 8.5m2

-          Excavating any part of the road other than a roadway, pathway or shoulder

‘Traffic impact works’ include:

-          Where part of the road is closed for a continuous period of more than 12 hours or more than 24hours in 7 days

-          That causes a significant delay to traffic

-          That causes a significant delay to a tram or bus service or stop

-          Where a tram or bus service need to be replaced, cancelled or detoured

-          On or that affect a bridge or other structure

-          On a clearway when in operation (Vic Roads)

-          On a freeway (Vic Roads)

-          On an arterial road that deviates vehicles into a lane normally used for traffic in the opposing direction (Vic Roads)

Telecommunications Act 1997

Telecommunication companies and their agents are exempt from consent under the Telecommunications Act. 

What happens in an emergency?

Work conducted in an emergency are exempt from the consent process. These works include burst water main, gas main explosion or fallen power lines on the road.  The exemption allows the responsible utility works manager to respond to the emergency, make the site safe for road users and other members of the public and undertake temporary works to reinstate any services where possible, including temporary reinstatement of the road for traffic

APA gas is currently undertaking upgrades within the City of Yarra. A permanent reinstatement will generally be undertaken within a few weeks of the upgrade.  

If you have a complaint or issue regarding:

Water leakage please contact City West Water on 13 16 91

Telstra works, please contact Telstra on 1800 307 516

Power shut down - please contact your relevant power company

 If you have feedback or a complaint regarding utility works or reinstatements following utility works please contact The City of Yarra on 9205 5555. One of our reinstatement officers will follow this up.


Back to top
Back to top Back to top