Temporary vehicle crossings
A Temporary Vehicle Crossing Permit is needed when access to a property is needed during a construction project and there is no existing vehicular access to the property from the roadway. Please read the process and below and contact Council if you have any further questions.
Temporary Vehicle Crossing (steel or timber) option only applies for single residential dwelling developments for a time period up to 6 months.
The steps involved are:
- Complete and submit the application form and attach the documents listed on the checklist.
- Once the assessment has been completed you will be notified of the decision.
- If your application is successful, you will receive an invoice to pay for your permit.
- Once the permit has been issued the temporary crossover will be inspected on the start date and will be inspected monthly.
- When the crossing is no longer required, the area must be reinstated and a final inspection will be undertaken.
App 11_Temporary Vehicle Crossing v1.0 (152.43 KB)
- If a street tree is on the space you want to use, Council’s arborist will need to be involved. Permit applications that are concerned with requests for the removal/replacement of a Council tree will be assessed on the tree’s condition, suitability, landscape value and significance. Council will assess the tree to determine its value. The cost of replacement, removal and an amenity charge will be payable by the applicant.
VicRoads Guidelines and Requirements
- Any proposed crossing from an arterial road to the property must be constructed in accordance with the VicRoads Guidelines, see attached VicRoads Plan.
- All movements onto and off any property or site where access is afforded from a VicRoads controlled road must be made in a forwards direction.
Costs (including GST)
The permit fee for a residential single temporary crossover (steel or timber) is outlined below. A single crossing is considered to be between 2.7m~3.5m.
Item / Permit
1 Jul 2016
to 30 Jun 2017
Permit fee (includes one inspection) – single residential
Inspection fee (per month only for steel and timber)
$140.40 (M-F 7am – 6pm)
Generally, council officers will undertake the required inspections between business hours. Where any inspections are required on a Sat between 9am - 3pm (the only work hours permitted without an Out of Hours Permit*), an additional inspection fee of $394 may apply.
The permit fee is payable once the application is approved and the permit can be issued.
Yarra Standard Drawings
Temporary Vehicle Crossing Standard Drawing - Chequered Plate (240.22 KB)
Temporary Vehicle Crossing Standard Drawing - Timber (208.71 KB)
Standard concrete vehicle crossing YSD51 (185.36 KB)
Concrete Vehicle Crossing section requirements
Back to top
City of Yarra