Out of Hours Works
An Out of Hours Permit is required to work on building sites outside the normally permitted times. These times are regulated by two things:
Environment Local Law No 3, Section 21 allows work as follows:
- Monday to Friday – 7.00am to 6.00pm.
- Saturday – 9.00am to 3.00pm.
- Sunday, ANZAC Day, Christmas Day and Good Friday – no work permitted.
- All other public holidays normal times apply, unless stipulated in planning permit conditions.
Planning permit conditions
Where a planning permit has been issued for the proposed works, the planning permit conditions will dictate the permitted working hours.
Who can get an out of hours permit?
Out of Hours permits are available to people who for specific reasons other than commercial consideration, cannot undertake the proposed work during the permitted times for construction. The reasons include essential works but are not limited to:
- A service authority has dictated times, e.g. power or water.
- A public transport operator has advised of suitable times, e.g. tram line shut down, or bus route.
- To reduce the restriction of access to surrounding businesses.
App 06_Out of Hours v1.0 (87.41 KB)
If your works need to be conducted outside the normally permitted times, you need to notify all affected neighbours/ businesses by letter drop within 100m of the site at least seven days prior to the date of works.The courtesy letter must be approved by Council’s Construction Management Branch before you distribute it.
Courtesy Letter for Out Of Hours Work Template (41.55 KB)
Please bring a copy of the courtesy letter to Richmond Town Hall or email to firstname.lastname@example.org for approval.
Your courtesy letter must include the following:
- The date the letter is to be distributed.
- A description of the work, full site address and location.
- The purpose for out of hours construction.
- A description of the works approved, including type of works, location of works and potential amenity impact.
- The date and time of the work.
- A locality plan of the site (to be provided on the reverse side of the letter).
- The name and phone number of a contact person on site and during the works.
- The City of Yarra’s phone number (9205 5555) as a contact point for any objections.
Please bring a copy of the courtesy letter to Richmond Town Hall or email it to email@example.com for approval.
Fees associated with the permit include:
- Out of Hours Permit fee - $166.90 per day.
- Out of Hours inspection fee - $426.40 per day.
These amounts are current until 1 July 2017.
All permit applications are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. For Road Occupation Permits and non-utility consents there is a five business day turnaround. Emails forwarded directly to personal email addresses may not be processed in these time frames.
If you require the permit urgently please visit the Richmond Town Hall between 8.30am and 4pm weekdays with all the required paperwork for the permit to be assessed.
Learn more about Construction Management permits.
Back to top
City of Yarra