Learner Driver Programs
The Yarra L2P program, run by Yarra Youth Services, helps young people to gain their driver’s license, by matching volunteers with learner drivers.
The program is free and available to young people under 21 years of age who live, work or study in the City of Yarra. The program helps young people gain 120 hours of driving experience required to apply for a probationary license.
To join the Yarra L2P Program, you need to:
- Be between 16 to 20 years of age
- Hold a current learner’s permit
- Not have access to either a vehicle, a supervising driver, or both
What does L2P offer?
- Supervised driving opportunities (normally 2-3 hours per week based on volunteer's availability) for young learner drivers
- The use of a safe, modern, fully maintained and insured automatic car for supervised driving sessions
- Assistance with the cost of professional driving lessons.
- A driver licence can open up numerous life opportunities for a young person, including employment and education. Our L2P program promotes safe and lawful driving among younger drivers by engaging volunteers from the community to teach driving skills and provide a positive role model.
How do I apply for the L2P Program?
- Contact the L2P Program Officer around eligibility for the program on 9426 1455
- The L2P Program Officer will send you an Application Form to complete or download the application form below
- You will be placed on the waiting list to begin the program.
- When there is a place in the program available, the L2P Program Officer will contact you to make a time to meet and discuss the program. They will also contact your reference at this point.
- You will need to get an eye test done at any optometrist. A medical report, if needed, should then be provided to the L2P Program Officer
- The L2P Program Officer will contact you to confirm your place in the program.
Learner Driver application form
L2P Learner Application Form.pdf (106.02 KB)
Please note: The program is currently full and is not taking any new applications from young people until 1 August 2015.
More information for Learner Drivers
To find out more, download the following L2P brochures:
TAC L2P Learner Driver Mentor Program Guide.pdf (588.90 KB)
Yarra L2P Learner Driver Mentor Program Information Kit for learner Drivers - June 2015.pdf (534.49 KB)
Volunteer Driving Mentors
Council is seeking volunteers who can spare two hours per week to help disadvantaged young people gain their driver licence.
A safe vehicle, training, insurance and ongoing support is provided to all volunteers.
- Full Victorian Driver Licence and good driving record
- Willingness to work with young people
- Able to commit a minimum of two hours per week for 12 months
- Minimum 10 years driving experience preferred (not essential)
- Attend a free eyesight test
- Women and men including people from diverse cultural background are encouraged to apply.
- A Police check, Licence check and Working with Children Check are required for all volunteers.
Mentor application form
Yarra L2P Mentor Application Form.pdf (329.26 KB)
If you are interested in volunteeting to be a mentor, please contact Samuel Sakama, L2P Project Worker, on 9426 1455 or Samuel.Sakama@yarracity.vic.gov.au
This program is supported by VicRoads, Yarra City Council, TAC, Members Equity, RACV and the Victoria Police.
Back to top
L2P Project Worker