Positive Ageing Strategy
Council is currently developing its Positive Ageing Strategy Draft Part Two Action Plan 2014-17.
The plan will assist Council to continue to build an age-friendly city where older people are at the forefront of our thinking, planning and design, policies and programs.
The draft Action Plan includes the following key actions:
- Initiation of a community ambassadors program to improve communications;
- Review of practices to ensure services are inclusive for LGBTI residents;
- Improved focus on physical and sports activity programs for older people;
- Ensuring new and existing community venues consider and are designed to achieve an age-friendly environment;
- Advocacy around access to health services for older people, especially from CALD background;
- Advocacy around potential changes and implications of Disability Care and HACC service reforms; and
- Increasing the representation and role of the Active Ageing Advisory Group in advocating for older residents rights.
The draft Action Plan can be viewed here:
Positive Ageing Strategy - Draft Stage Two Action Plan 2014 - 2017 (155.93 KB)
Council sought feedback on the draft Action Plan in June - July 2014. Council is expected to consider the draft Action Plan for adoption later in 2014.
Council released a Discussion Paper to help inform the draft Action Plan in 2013.
The Discussion Paper looks at the demographic changes expected in Australia and the City of Yarra between 2011 – 2021. It presents major international trends evident in securing the health and wellbeing of older residents, followed by the role of local government in contributing to the ability of its residents to age well. A copy of rhe Discussion Paper can be viewed below:
Positive Ageing Strategy Four Year Action Plan Discussion Paper 2013-16 (323.46 KB)
Positive Ageing Strategy
The Positive Ageing Strategy The River of Life, was developed to support a healthy, positive and independent ageing experience for older people in the City of Yarra.
A copy of the plan appears below. Please note, the document has been split into three parts because of its large file size.
Yarra adopted its River of Life Positive Ageing Strategy in 2006.
River of Life - Positive Ageing Strategy Part One.pdf (1.66 MB)
River of Life - Positive Ageing Strategy Part Two.pdf (2.33 MB)
River of Life - Positive Ageing Strategy Part Three.pdf (1.72 MB)
Back to top
Manager Aged and Disability Services
National Relay Service
TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 03 9205 5555.
Speak & Listen users (speech-to-speech relay) phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 03 9205 5555.
Internet relay users connect to the National Relay Service via www.relayservice.com.au and then ask for 03 9205 5555.