Royal Exhibition Building & Carlton Gardens
In mid-2011, Heritage Victoria sought feedback on a draft World Heritage Management Plan for the Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens area.
The deadline for feedback was Monday 8 August 2011.
The draft Plan has been prepared by a Steering Committee appointed by the Minister for Planning. The Steering Committee will consider any submissions made before it submits a Plan to the Minister for approval. Should you wish to seek the Steering Committee's leave to make a later submission you should contact Heritage Victoria on 8644 8800 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
More information is available on this Department of Planning and Community Development website.
The draft Management Plan provides information on the World Heritage, National Heritage, State Heritage and Local Heritage values of the Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens. The plan provides detail on the statutory and management framework that is aimed at ensuring those values are protected and conserved.
Here is the World Heritage Plan - Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens (490.89kB), and links to attachments which are published on the Heritage Victoria website.
In 2009, the Minister for Planning adopted a Strategy Plan for the Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens. The plan sets out the World Heritage values of the building and gardens, and sets out strategies for appropriate use and development of the World Heritage Environs Area.
In November 2009, the Minister for Planning approved an Amendment to the Yarra Planning Scheme to give effect to those recommendations in the Strategy Plan which were relevant to the City of Yarra.
Amendment C118 to the Yarra Planning Scheme:
- Amends the Municipal Strategic Statement (MSS) to refer to the WHEA and include objectives and strategies which seek to protect the setting and context of the World Heritage listed site
- Amends the Local Planning Policy – Landmarks and Tall Structures – to include reference to views of various elements of the Royal Exhibition Building
- Introduces a new Local Policy – Development Guidelines for Heritage Places in the WHEA – to guide the protection of the setting and context of the World Heritage listed site
- Amends the schedule to the Heritage Overlay and the relevant Planning Scheme map to include the WHEA Precinct, and
- Introduces a new Design and Development Overlay – Fitzroy South – over a small part of the Environs Area in Gertrude Street, Fitzroy to seek to protect views of the Royal Exhibition Buildings and the setting and context of the site as appreciated from the street. There is also a requirement that for any application for a permit for buildings and works required under the new Design and Development Overlay, notice must be given to the Executive Director Heritage Victoria.
Back to top
Coordinator - Strategic Planning