Road or footpath occupation permit

If you will be occupying part of a road or footpath as part of building works or an event, you will need a permit from Council.

A permit is required if:

  • You want to place hoardings, scaffolding, gantries, building materials, ladders, site sheds, cranes, concrete pumps, elevated work platforms, mobile scaffolding or similar equipment on the road or footpath.
  • You require a work area for plant and equipment.
  • You require a works-zone for construction vehicles.

Cranes – If your Road / Footpath Occupation request relates to the use of cranes, a separate permit is required


  • If you propose to erect hoardings, scaffold, gantries or other public protection measures over the street alignment (footpath or road) you need to apply for Report and Consent – precautions over the street alignment. This Report and Consent form can be found on the Building Permit Applications webpage. Your application for Report and Consent must be approved prior to the Road Footpath Occupation Permit being issued and the protective measures being erected.
  • All plant and equipment including but not limited to Cranes, Line Pumps & Elevated Work Platforms placed on Council land requires a Road / Footpath Occupation Permit.
  • Applicants must adhere to the conditions attached to the permit. The permit must be available for inspection on site. 
  • An Out of Hours Permit at a cost of $160.50 and inspection fee of  $410.00 minimum (per day) must be obtained for any works outside of 7am - 6pm Monday - Friday, 9am - 3pm Saturday.

How to apply

Complete this application form and compile the documents listed on the checklist.

pdf format Road Footpath Occupation Permit_Application 1 (271.50 KB)

  • If there is not enough space on the form to give the detail requested, attach a written proposal. We need to know how the works will be undertaken, estimated duration, work dates and times, site contact details etc.
  • Certificate of currency of your contractor’s public liability insurance is vital. Note that the insurance schedule and the tax invoice are not acceptable.
  • Traffic management plan prepared by a qualified person, as required by the Road Management Act 2004 and Road Safety Act 1986.  (A list of recommended suppliers is attached, or look up traffic management in the Yellow Pages). The plan must include the details of how you propose to place, erect, dismantle and/or undertake the proposed works.  All works are to be clearly delineated and signed in accordance with the relevant Acts, Regulations, Australian Standards, and Codes of Practice.

 pdf format Why is Traffic Management Important (58.92kB)

  • Site plans need to be drawn to appropriate standards, so may require professional expertise. See detail on the application form checklist. The plan should show the locations of all plant and equipment required on council assets i.e. footpath, nature-strip and or roadway.
  • Include copies of any other public authorities’ approvals. report and consents, and planning permits.  e.g. "Power or Tram line "No-Go-Zones" and or traffic management accreditation.
  • Courtesy letters:  If your works require a full road closure, you must provide a courtesy letter to everyone affected by the works. This must be done a full week before the works start. Attach a copy of your proposed letter.

docx format Courtesy Letter for Road Closure - July 2013 (42.01 KB)

It must include at least:

  • The length of time the disruption will take place
  • A locality plan of the closure area on the reverse of the letter
  • The name and phone number of a contact person on site and during the works, and;
  • Council's Construction Management Branch phone number (9205 5585), as a contact point for any objections.

What happens next?

  • A council officer will assess your application and advise you of the decision or request further information
  • If your application is successful, you can then collect, in person, and pay for, your permit from the Richmond Town Hall. The permit becomes valid when it is receipted
  • An officer will inspect your site on the day of the works to ensure that you are complying with the permit conditions. The permit must be available for inspection on site. (Inspection fee is paid when you pay for the permit)
  • If you are unable to undertake the work on the day specified (e.g. weather prevents working), contact us in writing the day before or, at the very least, in the morning when you make the decision), and request the permit date be changed to another day. If the inspection has not yet occurred, this may be possible.

Costs (incl. GST)

Item / Permit

1 Jul 2015 to 30 Jun 2016

Report and Consent - Reg 604(4)


(per application)

Road / Footpath Occupation Permits


Permit fee


Inspection fee

$135 (M-F  7am – 6pm)

Inspection (weekend) fee

$410 (Sat 9am-3pm)

Occupation fee


Private Single dwelling license/Occupancy per sq.metre per week $4.50

Commercial license/occupancy per sq. metre per week $7.50




Plant & Equipment Fee 

$142 (per day per item)

Inspection fee

$135 (per day)


Generally within 10 working days. However, works involving Council's prior approval, i.e. reports and consents may take up 15 working days. Traffic management plan approval can take up to 20 working days.


By mail: Yarra City Council, Construction Management Branch, PO Box 168, Richmond, VIC 3121

In person: Monday - Friday, 8.30am - 4.30pm
Richmond Town Hall
333 Bridge Road

By fax:
8417 6666

By email:

Further information
Construction Management Branch
9205 5585

Back to top
Back to top Back to top