Most compact discs have compact disc in the title. However, searching for compact disc as a key word will come up with over 7,000 titles. It would be easier to do an author search using the artist or composer. Alternatively, you can perform a subject search using keywords, e.g., world music, sonatas or popular music.
Music print items
Use the subject key word search for the type of material you want (i.e. world music, sonatas or popular music). You can also use the subject searching for composers or artists. Alternatively when in the library, search in the non fiction section under the Dewey number 792.
New music items
Keep up to date with our new items by selecting our new items listings.
Music books and biographies
Search for music books by using key word subjects such as 'music,' or by type of music such as Opera, Jazz or Popular music. Most libraries will have reference books on music such as:
- Baker's dictionary of Opera
- Who's who of Australian rock compiled by Chris Spencer, Zbig Nowara and Paul McHenry
- Larousse encyclopedia of music editor Geoffrey Hindley
- The great rock discography by Strong, M. C. (Martin Charles)
- The Oxford companion to Australian music edited by Warren Bebbington
- Folk and blues : the encyclopedia by Irwin Stambler and Lyndon Stambler
- The New Grove gospel, blues, and jazz, with spirituals and ragtime by Paul Oliver, Max Harrison, William Bolcom
Dewey classification for music
- The 780's in the adult non-fiction and reference sections of your library are where most of the reference books about music and musicians can be found.
- Biographies / autobiographies about musicians are located in the biography section under the Dewey number B780.
- Try searching the catalogue under subject, and put in the name of the musician you are interested in.
- Our biographies range from Dolly Parton to Pavarotti.
Back to top
1300 695 427