Trees FAQs

Trees in Edinburgh GardensBelow are a number of Frequently Asked Questions relating to trees in the City of Yarra.  

Q: What can I do if my neighbour's tree is hanging over my property?
A: Residential disputes involving private trees are a civil matter between neighbours and outside of Council's regulatory responsibilities.

Q: Does Council remove trees for residents from private properties?
A: Officers will only inspect a private tree if a resident is seeking to remove or prune a private tree covered by Council's significant tree local law.

Q: How do I report problems with street trees?
A: Click here for details

Q: How long will Council take to respond to my request?
A: Emergency requests are investigated within 24 hours while general requests are investigated within 10 working days.

Q: How long does Council water new trees for?
A: Newly planted trees are maintained for two years, which includes watering on a weekly basis during the growing season.

If you would like to report any queries or issues regarding trees, including significant trees, please email:


Further information
Yarra City Council
9205 5555


Back to top
Back to top Back to top