Highett Street (between Church and Gleadell Streets), Richmond 3121
Melway ref: 2H, B5
Citizen's Park is Richmond's largest park. Close proximity to public transport and plenty of open space make it a great inner-city getaway.
Throughout the year Citizen’s Park is used for a range of organised sports and as a destination for people relaxing, exercising or walking their dogs.
Park users and dog owners are reminded that sports clubs have been granted permission for training and matches during the following times:
- Monday to Thursday 4pm – 8pm (allocated time for training)
- Friday 4pm – 8pm (allocated time for matches)
- Saturday 8am – 6pm (allocated time for matches)
- Sunday – no allocated times however requests from sports clubs are assessed on a case by case basis.
During December/January and other periods around school and public holidays, sports clubs may not necessarily use all allocated times.
In these instances, park users and dog owners are able to use the oval when it is clear there is no organised sports activity occurring.
During allocated times when it is clear there is organised sports activity, no dogs are allowed on the oval. When this occurs, dog owners are able to exercise their dogs around the boundary of the oval (outside the fence and around the rear of the cricket nets) with their dog under effective control.
Failure to have your dog under effective control at any time is the responsibility of the Owner and may result in penalties issued.
Consultation - Help Council improve Citizens Park
28 February - 3 April 2015
Council is calling for community ideas on how to improve the management of Citizens Park.
It is important for Council to balance the needs of all park users, especially as more people move into central Richmond and use Citizens Park for a variety of reasons, including sport, dog walking, relaxation and exercise.
Visit the Help Council improve Citizens Park webpage for more information and to find out how to contribute to the discussion.
Responsible pet ownership
Dog owners are also reminded to:
- pick up after your dog to ensure the park remains clean and safe for all users. This is a requirement under the Local Law and penalties apply to dog owners who disregard this. All dog owners must carry a bag or receptacle to collect your dog’s poo.
- have your pet under effective control at all times, i.e. do not leave your dog on its own
- stop your dog digging holes in the oval surface which can be unsafe for other people using the park. If you see your dog doing this ensure the hole is filled back in.
- Ensure your pet is registered with Council and wearing the current registration tag at all times (penalties apply for not wearing tag). This will make it easier to reunite you with your pet should it go missing.
For more information about Citizen’s Park training times call:
For information about responsible pet ownership call 9205 5555 or visit http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/News/yarra-news/2014/8/reminder-on-responsible-pet-ownership/
Features and facilities
Features and facilities include:
- Sports ground
- Dog off-leash area
- Barbeque facilities
- Picnic tables
- Drinking fountains
- Bike parking
- On street parking
Citizens Park is wheelchair accessible, including accessible toilet and parking.
Click here to inquire about park hire.
View Larger Map
Further information regarding hiring of park facilities
Venues & Events
Further information regarding park maintenance
Coordinator - Open Space
Back to top