Sustainable Heritage Buildings
The Department of Planning and Community Development website has a section dedicated to sustainability, which includes practical information as well as a case study on the adaption of an existing heritage house to improve its environmental sustainability.
Heritage Victoria has also produced guidelines which provide information on:
- Optimising existing traditional building performance
- Reducing energy consumption in existing buildings
- Maximising energy and water efficiencies in new work to existing buildings
- Monitoring energy and water consumption
- Energy efficiency regulations
Heritage Buildings Sustainability Guidelines (253.65kB)
Heritage Buildings Energy Efficiency Regulations (270.97kB)
In areas subject to the Heritage Overlay, a planning permit is required to install a rainwater tank, solar hot water system or photovoltaic cell system if it is visible from the street or a public park. In many instances, it will be possible to install these items whilst achieving concealment from the public domain.
For information on whether a planning permit is required or about methods to achieve concealment, please contact Council’s Statutory Planning Unit on 9205 5373.
Back to top