Economic Development Strategy
Council is developing a draft Economic Development Strategy for 2015-2020.
The draft strategy provides a framework for how Council can best support economic development, foster greater investment and jobs growth in Yarra over the next five years.
The draft strategy presents a vision that by 2020, Yarra will be recognized for being a smart, sustainable City with vibrant and thriving precincts and a locally engaged business community.
It addresses three key objectives:
- A smart city
- Vibrant and thriving precincts
- Locally engaged business community
In preparing the draft strategy, Council conducted extensive research and consultation, including:
- Detailed background research to identify trend which will influence economic growth over the next five years;
- A literature review of existing strategies and policies which need to be considered;
- A local economic and business profile;
- Trends in tourism and visitation; and
- Consultation with the business community and within Council involving, one-on-one interviews and workshops.
The existing Yarra Tourism Strategy 2011-2016 has been integrated into the draft Economic Development Strategy. Tourism is a major component of Yarra's local economy with visitors attracted to its iconic precincts for their unique mix of retail strips, bustling night-life, heritage, arts and cultural activities.
View the Draft Economic Development Strategy
The draft strategy can be viewed here:
Draft Economic Development Strategy 2015-2020 (1.67 MB)
A background report on the Economic Development Strategy can be viewed here:
Economic Development Strategy 2015-20 Background Report (1.48 MB)
To request a hard copy of either of these documents or for assistance from an interpreter, please contact Kim Swinson on 9205 5303.
Council sought feedback on the draft strategy in August and September 2014. Council is expected to consider the adoption of the strategy in late 2014.
Back to top
Coordinator - Economic Development