Economic Development Strategy
Council's Economic Development Strategy 2015-2020 provides a framework for how Council can best support economic development, foster greater investment and jobs growth in Yarra.
The strategy presents a vision that by 2020, Yarra will be recognized for being a smart, sustainable City with vibrant and thriving precincts and a locally engaged business community.
It addresses three key objectives:
- A smart city
- Vibrant and thriving precincts
- Locally engaged business community
In preparing the strategy, Council conducted extensive research and consultation, including:
- Detailed background research to identify trend which will influence economic growth over the next five years;
- A literature review of existing strategies and policies which need to be considered;
- A local economic and business profile;
- Trends in tourism and visitation; and
- Consultation with the business community and within Council involving, one-on-one interviews and workshops.
The existing Yarra Tourism Strategy 2011-2016 has been integrated into the Economic Development Strategy. Tourism is a major component of Yarra's local economy with visitors attracted to its iconic precincts for their unique mix of retail strips, bustling night-life, heritage, arts and cultural activities.
View the Economic Development Strategy
Yarra's Economic Development Strategy can be viewed here:
Economic Development Strategy 2015-2020 (1.68 MB)
A background report on the Economic Development Strategy can be viewed here:
Economic Development Strategy 2015-20 Background Report (1.48 MB)
To request a hard copy of either of these documents or for assistance from an interpreter, please contact Kim Swinson on 9205 5303.
Back to top
Coordinator - Economic Development