Considering moving to Yarra?

Music from the wetlands festivalYarra Council welcomes new residents. If you are considering moving into Yarra, here is a checklist of things to consider.

Many of these matters can be handled after you move in, while others may have a bearing on whether you decide to move here.

On-street parking permits are restricted

Yarra Council has a policy in place to manage demand for limited on-street parking across the municipality.

This policy means many occupants of new properties are not eligible for on-street parking permits.

Specifically, you won’t be eligible for an on-street parking permit (or visitor permit) if you live in a property where construction began on or after December 2003, where that construction increased the number of dwellings or separate occupancies on the site.

This policy applies in every suburb and street of Yarra.

The aim is to ensure that new developments are self sufficient in parking and their occupants do not rely on any on-street parking. It also makes developers accountable for meeting the parking or transport needs of their future residents. Developers can do this by providing enough on-site car parks or by providing sustainable transport options such as bike parking facilities or allocated spaces for shared cars. Council has provided information about this policy to local real estate agents.

If you would like to check on the eligibility of a specific property, please contact Council on 9205 5255 or at

Noise and amenity

It is always good to be aware of what else is happening in the street you are considering moving into.

Some things to look out for are: what construction is underway (there are lots of major developments underway or proposed in Yarra), how many trucks access the street, what are the traffic volumes of the street, what entertainment venues are nearby, what noise levels are there during the day and night etc. For some people these things won’t matter because they can be part and parcel of city living. For others they will matter, so it is best to know about these things before you move in.

Construction works are permitted to occur in Yarra between 7am - 6pm on weekdays and 9am - 3pm on Saturdays. Construction works can only occur outside these hours or on Sundays if an Out of Hours permit has been issued by Council. If once you move in you notice construction occurring outside these hours, please ask Council to investigate by contacting us on 9205 5555.

Heritage protection on local properties

The historic streetscapes throughout Yarra are highly valued by local residents and visitors. Many properties in Yarra fall within a heritage overlay area. This means that you may need to apply for a planning permit before undertaking works such as painting, removal or construction of fences, or installing doors, windows and verandas. Here is more restoration advice. 

Access to childcare and kindergarden services

You can register your children for placement in Council childcare centres and kindergartens and participating community-based children's services through a Central Registration System. Places are allocated according to Council’s Priority of Access Policy. Here is more information on the Central Registration System. 

Animal registration

If you have a cat or dog, you will need to register your animal with Yarra Council. While your animal may have been registered with another Council in the past, you will need to start afresh with a new registration with Yarra.

Since 2010, Yarra has required that cats be desexed. Some exceptions apply. Here is more information on animal registration and mandatory cat desexing. 


Waste and recycling bins

If you are moving into a Yarra property that does not have a waste and/or recycling bin, please ask us to deliver bins to you.

You will need to fill in and submit a statutory declaration form, stating that there your new property does not have a bin or bins. The form is available on this New Waste and Recycling Bins webpage. 

If Council has previously supplied bins to your address, standard-sized bins will be delivered free of charge. If Council has not previously supplied bins to the address, there is likely to be a start-up cost of about $62 to supply your property with a 80 litre waste bin and a 120 litre recycle bin.


New Resident Kit

Council is keen to provide new residents with practical information to help you get settled in your new community. We would be happy to send you out some information so please request a New Resident Kit.

Further information
9205 5555

Back to top
Back to top Back to top